Some very poetic language, but not much of a story. Feels 98% appropriated from Suzan-Lori Parks.
First in cycle – set in 1904.
2 W, 5 M
There’s a lot of standing around, telling stories. But some strong images. Key plot points are hard to believe.
Long and slow. May be more effective on page than stage.
One of the all time greats.
- Sturdyvant and Irvin set it up
- Ma is a problem and they have to handle her
- They have a list of songs for her
- Cutler, Slow Drag, Toledo arrive
- Only Toledo can read
- Where is Ma?
- Where is Levee?
- Levee arrives with new shoes
- Slow Drag: “I wanna get out of here.”
- Cutler: “You play Ma’s music.”
- Levee can’t spell music.
- Levee in conflict with the band
- Where’s Ma?
- Ma’s gonna do what she wants to do